Thursday, October 28, 2010

Spiced Applesauce Cake


I got this recipe of the Smitten Kitchen website (surprise, surprise) and as usual it came out fantastic, so had to share. Plus I had promised many posts featuring apples and pears, right? You may be relieved to hear that I’m halfway through the three crates of apples and pears I got from my friend (mostly cause I’m cooking and pureeing for the baby like Gerber’s is going out of business) so I’ll hopefully be changing subject matter in the near future. For now, this lovely, easy cake.
This is what you need:     
A square non-stick cake pan  - I used a heart-shaped one cause I was feeling whimsical today!      
365 grams (1 ½ cup – 13oz) applesauce (I made a mix of spiced apple and pear sauce, will be posting the recipe for this asap on Moomser Baby)
½ cup crushed pecans (the original says walnuts, but I had pecans…)
250 grams (2cups – 8 ¾ oz.) all purpose flour         
10 grams (2tsp) baking powder
3 grams ( ½ tsp) baking soda
3 grams ( ½ tsp) salt
2 grams ( ¾ tsp) cinnamon
1 gram ( ½ tsp) ground ginger (I also added the same amount of ground nutmeg, ground cloves, and allspice)
115 grams (1 stick – 4oz) unsalted butter – softened
215 grams (1 cup – 7 ¾ oz) light brown sugar (as usual I would put less sugar cause it was too sweet for my palate, next time I’ll stick to no more than 180grams)
5ml (1 tsp) pure vanilla extract
2 eggs – room temperature

This is what you do:
Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F)
Beat together butter and sugar until soft and fluffy (took me at least 10 minutes, but my sugar was quite coarse, keep an eye on it).
While that’s beating, measure out your dry ingredients. And butter your cake dish.
Then add eggs to wet ingredients one at a time and beat well in between. Add applesauce.
Put your mixer on low and add in the dry ingredients and nuts and mix until just combined.
Bake for 30 to 40 minutes until tester inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean – it took me 30 minutes, so check on your cake often!
 
Let it cool for 15 – 20 minutes and take out of your pan to let it cool completely. You’ll notice that my cake is cracked… I took it out too soon, so be patient!

You can serve this with cream cheese frosting:
This is what you need:
150 – 160 grams Philadelphia cream cheese
40 – 50 grams butter (softened)
120 grams (1 packet – 1 cup) confectioner’s sugar
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
1 tsp cinnamon
This is what you do:
Beat together cream cheese and butter until well combined and fluffy (smitten kitchen says to soften cream cheese too, but I find that cold cream cheese makes for a thicker frosting – as suggested by the Joy of Cooking) add vanilla.
Sift in sugar and cinnamon and beat until well mixed, but don’t over beat cause it’ll get runny.
Try and wait for your cake to cool before frosting, I obviously didn't….


4 comments:

  1. This looks delicious! Just to let you know, your cake link on the moomser post links to SK and not to this beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have completely worn myself out today making applesauce today, but I pinned this cake on Pinterest to remind myself to make this cake when I get my will to live back.  Looks fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks! Your comment actually just reminded me of this cake and I may well have to make it again soon too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Made the cake today, it was the bomb diggity!

    ReplyDelete