Monday, November 1, 2010

Happy Halloween


This was the girl’s first Halloween and the first time the boy understood what was going on, so we made more of an effort than usual. We carved a pumpkin, we decorated the house, I put some forethought into their costumes… all in all a success considering that Halloween isn’t a holiday here in Italy. When I first moved here nobody even knew what I was talking about, then I started noticing a few Halloween parties organized by college students, girls in skimpy she-devil costumes, guys in homemade Dracula get-ups, as per the any excuse for a party philosophy. Then six years ago, I had a lone trick or treater at my door in Milan, I was so excited I probably freaked the poor kid out, showing him my carved pumpkin and cobwebby living room. So I was totally shocked after we moved to Cuneo when a bunch of neighborhood kids showed up trick or treating at our door, maybe the word had spread about the Americana living in this house. They don’t make much of an effort costume wise, and they’re quite shy about what they’re doing but at least now I’ll be able to take my own kids trick or treating when they’re a little older. The boy was a pirate, the girl a pumpkin (thanks to her uncle who brought her costume from the US) and I was… a witch. We attended two Halloween parties but decided not to go trick or treating ourselves this year (please read, the boy adamantly refused to put his costume on for the third day in a row and go out in the street, plus it’s raining) but we have been having a lot of fun answering the door. All in all a happy Halloween. Unfortunately, you’ll have to imagine the boy’s pirate costume cause every, single, freaking, time we took out the camera he whipped off some part of his costume, just to irritate us. Damn independence.


The witch, the pumpkin and the pirate
Cutest pumpkin ever

Pirate, caught unawares


3 comments:

  1. The kids are adorable, ça va sans dire. I have never had a trick or treater at my door here in Italy! I am jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. bambini fantastici! veramente belli!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The kids are adorable, ça va sans dire. I have never had a trick or treater at my door here in Italy! I am jealous.

    ReplyDelete