Thursday, October 14, 2010

Fun, fun, fun

I was so sick last night. I’m not going to get into the mechanics of the whole thing cause it would definitely fall under the Too Much Information category, suffice it to say that I either caught a stomach (and nether regions) bug again or my body was just trying to tell me that maybe it’s not such a great idea to go on a food binge at McDonald’s at my age.
On a positive note, the Boy had a fantastic day yesterday. I had to go to a “ladies’ lunch” a monthly get together of English speaking foreigners here in Cuneo, well foreign women obviously, though this occasionally leads me to wonder if there are quite as many foreign men here as well and have they formed a group and meet periodically like we do (like “dudes who drink” or “happy fellas happy hour”) to complain about being foreign in rural Italy and how it’s impossible to find sour cream here or in their case more likely how it’s impossible to find Shiner Bock, (if they happen to be from Texas, of course) and we simply don’t know about it, otherwise we could end up having, like, co-ed mixers and stuff. Huh.

Enough with the digressions. Anyway, I had the usual dilemma of can’t go to the lunch because have to pick the boy up at daycare at 1pm to take him home for a nap, don’t want to have him sleep there cause then he’s super clingy all afternoon, so can’t go to lunch, when the husband yelled at me to stop being so damn neurotic and just take the boy with me. And I realized, why yes, I can take him with me (after a couple of minutes of worrying about how badly changing his routine was going to affect the rest of my day). So I pick up a very excited boy and we head off to the restaurant (to an ongoing chant of “are we there”, “is this the ressarant”). His buddy D was there so they entertained each other, and he was thoroughly pleased at spending a couple of hours being grown up with Mama. Who knew? I always hated being dragged places with my Mom, I’m assuming it’s the novelty of the occasion more than anything. But the fun didn’t end there, after going home for a nap, D came over with his brother L and that pretty much made his day. He hero worships L, yes, L of the sparkly shoes. And D is his bestest friend. Oh, and D is also apparently the Girls boyfriend. So there. And after all of this excitement we went to McDonald’s for dinner and the Boy had his very first taste of fast food. Though the food was definitely not as interesting as the happy meal toy nor the play area. Man, the McDonald’s play area is fun, so fun that nobody wanted to leave, so fun in fact that it generated a meltdown of epic proportions.

Now, my American friends are probably thinking, why are you making such a big deal about McDonald’s (apart from the fact that I revisited my entire McDonald’s meal last night) but you have to understand that we live out in rural Italy. There isn’t much of a fast food culture here (case in point, we have 1 McD’s and 1 Burger King 30km apart), and also there aren’t any soft indoor play areas around here like the one at McDonald’s so the boy went into sensory overload from all the new things he did, as did we, apparently.

Well, once happily tucked into bed with his lovey the boy declared the day “fuuuun”, so that’s all that matters. Until 3 am, of course, when I started spewing stuff like the exorcist. Just sayin’.

3 comments:

  1. Ok, now I want to know what Shiner Bock is!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a beer, made in Shiner, Texas. I realized afte writing this that possibly a lot of people wouldn't know what it was and maybe I should change it to Bud or Pabst Blue Ribbon, or something.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's a beer, made in Shiner, Texas. I realized afte writing this that possibly a lot of people wouldn't know what it was and maybe I should change it to Bud or Pabst Blue Ribbon, or something.

    ReplyDelete