Monday, March 19, 2012

Oh, to be a child again - Monday Listicles


Once you’re all grown up you rarely think about being a kid, and actually when you’ve got kids of your own you tend to concentrate on the good and bad things of having kids. This week though, thanks to Stasha (aka Northwestmommy) at The Good Life, I’ve decided to concentrate on the good things about being a kid. Both from my own, alas far-gone, experience and from what I see in my own children.

Ten great things about being a kid

1. Running is fun, not exercise
2. Sleeping in the afternoon is not only encouraged but celebrated
3. Food can be smeared, squished, thumped and ingested, both separately and all at once
4. Staying home and watching tv all day when you’re sick
5. Watching tv all afternoon because Mama’s sick or tired or irritable
6. Thinking it’s acceptable to throw a fit upon sighting broccoli
7. Going to the grocery store dressed as Spiderman any day of the week and thinking you’re the coolest thing since sliced bread
8. Sitting on the swing for hours with your eyes closed while someone else pushes you
9. Free cuddles whenever you want them
10. Crying, a hug and a kiss make everything better. Everything.

“Adults are just obsolete children and to hell with them” Dr. Seuss. How often I agree!

24 comments:

  1. So true, all of these things! I remember wondering two things when I was a kid: how did grown ups not get bored not playing in their free time? I thought I would keep on playing forever, even when I got older. And how is it possible that parents don't cry whenever they are upset or angry? Tears used to come so easily and I couldn't figure out when or how that would stop.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of my favorite things when my kids were small were the costumes they would wear around. It breaks my heart a little when they go to Disney and they no longer dress up as princesses.  Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  3. The costumes... AMEN! Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  4. #3 made me laugh! And I agree completely with Dr. Seuss! Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Naps!!!!!! I'm a huge fan of those! And I LOVE letting Lil Duck dress herself. I took a ladybug out and about last week as well as Cinderella and Rapunzle. It was awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love, love, love what you said. SO true, we are too busy thinking about what it is like to have a child and not how it is like to be one.. I was just telling my husband how our son goes and runs in the garden for what seems like forever. Because it is fun?! Wish I did too...
    And I must ask, Spiderman-that was you when you were a bit younger, right :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm going to wear a Spiderman costume next time I go grocery shopping! I Will let you know how it goes!

    ReplyDelete
  8. SisterhoodofthesensiblemomsMarch 19, 2012 at 7:48 PM

    Ahhh, the swinging. That's childhood in an image right there. Nice list. Erin

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks! Adulthood on the other hand are sore forearms from all the swing pushing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh boy, can't wait to hear about it! 

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ha! I wish! I was too shy and self-conscious as a child, no, my son is spidey, practically all the time!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks, Dr. Seuss, he sure knew a thing or two!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hell, I'd go everywhere in costume if I had the guts!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very sad... that's why we need to remember to enjoy their childhood, it's so fleeting!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I agree with the playing, we should start doing that more often! Unfortunately, I still cry at the drop of a hat...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yes! Wouldn't life be a lot more fun if we all wore superhero costumes to the grocery store?

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love seeing super hero's at the store! I always wondered when they had time to get their groceries!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love the list and the post! Super awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  19. We should. Then we should take pictures and post them on our blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a great list. I'm gonna have to dust off the spiderman costume LOL

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love the quote and what a great list.  I so wish naps as adults were encouraged.

    ReplyDelete