Sunday, May 1, 2011

Ten things I want to teach my son

Here we are, my first attempt at a meme. Drumroll please!
As mentioned in my previous post I’d like to do this on the first of every month, so you have plenty of time to think about it! The theme is ten things I want to teach my children, or that I think my children need to learn to be successful (however you define it!) adults. I posted my first list for my daughter, as an example, here. Today’s list is for my son. You can write it any which way you want, for your son or daughter, for your children if you don’t want to genderize it, or for your future kids if you don’t have any yet, hey, you can even write it for your grandkids if you don’t agree with the way your own grown children are doing things:

Here’s mine:

Ten Things I Want To Teach My Son


1. Cherish your sister – so you’ll always have family even after we’re gone

2. Be a gentleman – even though you may grow up in Italy where this seems to be a lost art. Gentlemanly behavior is not outdated, most of the time it simply equals being nice and caring towards others. So hold doors open for people, help someone struggling with their load and for goodness sakes give up your seat on the bus to women and older people.

3. Be generous – if you’re going out with a girl, pay. That’s it, no arguments, no excuses. If you want to date her pay for dinner, if she’s just your friend treat her anyway and she can get it next time, and what the hell, treat your mates to a beer every once in awhile too. Pay it forward, it never hurts to be generous – but no strings attached!

4. Learn to change a tire. Seriously.

5. Tie a proper bow tie – no man has ever looked dapper or dashing in a clip on. Ever.

6. How to fight – resolving conflicts with diplomacy is always best but know how to throw an effective punch because you may need it someday.

7. Sex is great but it needs to be accompanied by respect and discretion, you may not always do it for love but for goodness sakes don’t brag, demean or disrespect the person you are having it with.

8. Think with your brain and not your….

9. Be nice to your in laws, no matter how annoying they may be.

10. Don’t compare your girlfriend to your mother (because mothers always win!)


Ok, your turn! Just write your post and link up here, and be nice and go visit the other bloggers on the list! If you don’t have a blog and want to play anyway send me your ten things via email and I’ll make a special post for you or write them in the comments (if you’ve got the time and patience!).
The linky will be open for a week and since I’m only doing this once a month, I’ll be posting reminders when we get close to the next installment. Thanks for participating!

(Yes, lots of exclamation points in this post, I’m excited about this, ok?!!!)




13 comments:

  1. That's an awesome list. I have one more thing to add. My mother always taught me that I should be the best at whatever it is I'm doing. She always told me that I can do whatever I want to that will make me happy. If I chose to collect garbage....I should be the best damn garbage collector out there. That advice always stuck with me. Margot

    ReplyDelete
  2. Non capisco il punto 5.
    Poi ho fatto due calcoli, non ti preoccupare non ti chiedo di di farli pure te, mi pare che saremmo in un campo di " Mission impossible": ma se hai deciso di scrivere " le 10 cose da insegnare ai tuoi figli" e poi ogni iniziomese ne scrivi 10.......ma quante centinaia di cose sti poveri disgraziati tocca che imparano?!?!?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Michi Il punto 5: Impara a fare il fiocco per una cravatta da smoking (farfalla?) perche nessun uomo è mai stato elegante o intrigante con quelle "finte", sai quelle che hanno già il fiocco fatto e le attacchi al colletto della camicia.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great advice! I would like to add...
    .) Don't be afraid to show affection in public to those you love. Hug your mother and your father, offer your arm to your grandmother, and show tenderness in a genuine smile. These are lessons well taught by my mother to my brothers that I have learned by watching them. amy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Belissima idea! E concordo su tutti i punti, ma per un maschietto, specialmente perche' viviamo in Italia, ne aggiungerei uno: imparare a cucinare (almeno un uovo o un piatto di pasta), a lavare e stirare (almeno un set base dei propri vestiti), a fare una pulizia base della casa ...non che gli auguri di espletare i lavori domestici per la vita, ma almeno sara' ben preparato per le prime vacanze da solo, acquistera' molti punti agli occhi delle ragazze e soprattutto apprezzera' appieno lo sforzo di chi lo fara' per lui...baci Cla

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fantastic! Yes, mother's always win. Never dis the Mom. Of course, that could be considered a tad self-serving, eh? x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Be a gentleman yes! There are too few in the world. That is one of the things I love about my husband.
    Cooking too, I love a man who can cook and it doesn't have to be fancy.

    Respect for others is fundamental. I believe in the Golden rule " do unto others as you would have others do unto you."

    I don't think my husband has ever changed a tire. My mother made me change a tire the day I got my drivers license and it is a skill I have needed a few times to date.

    Great lists Yara.
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the list! I want to steal it for my sons. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Bello, mi devo ripetere: divertente ed intelligente! Spero che i miei fututi generi abbiano delle mamme che passino ai figli i medesi insegnamenti!
    Ale Sfondrini

    ReplyDelete
  10. Alrighty, I'm on board! http://richasshole.blogspot.com/2011/05/10-fancy-rules.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fantastic! Yes, mother's always win. Never dis the Mom. Of course, that could be considered a tad self-serving, eh? x

    ReplyDelete
  12. @Michi Il punto 5: Impara a fare il fiocco per una cravatta da smoking (farfalla?) perche nessun uomo è mai stato elegante o intrigante con quelle "finte", sai quelle che hanno già il fiocco fatto e le attacchi al colletto della camicia.

    ReplyDelete