Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Virtual Coffee {20}

Hello dear friends, and welcome to coffee!

If we were really having coffee today, I would show you these carrots I bought at the “new” organic store (I’m using quotes because it’s been open over a year already, but is still considered new around here, it’ll stop being new in about ten years or so, that’s when people here consider a business to be “established”).



For some reason dirty, earthy carrots always seem healthier to me now, like they were just picked this morning… Although when I first moved here and saw this I was shocked that they didn’t wash them before presenting them to the public, it’s a wonder how we change over time, isn’t it?!



I would tell you that I’m beyond thrilled that all our furniture for the beach house arrived last Friday and while the husband spent the day supervising the very capable ikea personnel assembling said furniture I spent the day on beach recon. I know, tough job and all that.

Of course there’s the minor glitch that we have no windows and doors, and (of course) that not all the furniture actually got assembled but we’ve decided to just be happy for the good and completely ignore the annoying.
In any case, we’re going down to the beach with the kids tomorrow, to show them the house and take them for their first dip in the sea this year (yeah, I know, what have we been doing all summer?!) and to start taking some stuff down there. I had never realized how much crap one needs in a new house, I’ve got a list, it gets longer everyday… sheets, towels, pots, pans, plates, cutlery, glasses, toilet paper, cleaning products, vacuum cleaner… seriously it never ends. I don’t think we’ll be done lugging stuff down there for a good long while, but I’m soooo not complaining!

I’d also tell you that we managed to organize a little week vacation and are going to Sardinia next Saturday, we’ll be back just in time for preschool to start. I realize that most of you are already firmly back in the school routine, but hopefully you’ll enjoy a little vicarious vacation through me in the next couple of weeks.

I just realized this post is all over the place what with the carrots and all so I figured one more tangent couldn’t hurt… Here’s a picture of my kids that totally captures their personalities: Sassy and Sweet, guess who's who!



So now tell me, how’s the summer winding down for you? Are you excited for the beginning of the school year?

And then go and visit our hostess Amy! Toodles.


<Photobucket

15 comments:

  1. Funny, I stopped our organic veg delivery because I was sick of tracking all that dirt in with my carrots. But perhaps I made a mistake...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for dirty vegetables straight from the garden! Super-cute piccie of your kids. We are winding down summer by...cheering wildly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. This supermarket carrot buyer initially mistook your pic for some kind of sweet potato!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, congrats on the progress made on your beach house! I totally love your line about being "happy for the good and completely ignore the annoying." Sounds like a fabulous approach! Hope the start of school next week goes smoothly!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do love me some organic carrots, will swear that they taste better than regular ones.  Of course, I will swear for any reason so maybe that last comment is less credible.  Next time I go on a road trip I will call you up and see if you want to come and be a vagabond with me.  I am loving the sound of your beach house.  I crave the ocean.  Mind you, I have a lake at my country cottage but the ocean, oh the ocean!  I will stop kevetching now. But my vote is Sassy is on the left, sweet is on the right.

    ReplyDelete
  6. P.S. I forgot to mention that Montreal Steamies are simply hotdogs steamed instead of boiled.  And since I live in Montreal but drove over 500 kms. to visit family in another Province and happened across a sign that boasted "Montreal Steamies", well I couldn't resist making mention.  This same city also likes to claim "Montreal bagels" but really it takes the animosity of language issues to make Montreal bagels taste as they do and nothing less!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hahahahaa.....totally love your comment about the supermarket!  I still think of it as "new" as well.  Oh Lordie....what's happening to me.  Help!

    ReplyDelete
  8. We grew carrots in our garden for the first time this year. When I pulled them up I thought, there is no way I'm ever getting this dirt off! Of course I did & they are delicious. Better than any I've bought in the store. 

    I can't wait to hear more about the beach and Sardinia. I could use one more vacation this summer:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Surely you can get someone to quickly disappear the dirt. Or, on the housekeeper's day off, just blame it on the dog, or the Minis, that's what kids are for isn't it? Or say you've been "crafting", really there's like a million legitimate reasons for dirt all over the place!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's always good to be enthusiastic!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yeah, I know, they're like carrots in disguise!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks! Will post pics of the house progress this week. 

    ReplyDelete
  13. Swearing eases tension! Vagabonding sounds fun! Yeah, you can pic Sassy straight out of a lineup, she's just got that look, and she's not even two yet... ay, ay, ay caramba!

    ReplyDelete
  14. co-paisano, I'd love to know who you are?!!
    Cuneo just gets to us after awhile, no matter how hard we fight it!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Growing them in my garden, now there's an idea!

    ReplyDelete