Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Somebody give me some trash tv

We just finished watching the Coen brothers’ latest masterpiece, A Serious Man.
And when I say we I actually mean me since my darling husband decided to go to bed halfway through the movie, that’s how positively riveting it was. Now, I’ll admit that I’m a total redneck when it comes to movies. I liked ‘Independence Day’, I think Steve Martin and Adam Sandler are hilarious, my all time favorite movie is ‘The Day After Tomorrow’. I love all those movies that Italians disparagingly call “Americanate” – typically American movies – the ones with lots of action where something generally blows up, where the good guy is really good and the bad guy is actually the guy that you don’t really notice till  half way through the movie, the one where the hero invariably gives up smoking because he realizes how bad it is for him, possibly with an American flag waving in the wind towards the end. So, basically, I ain’t no film critic.
So when The Husband comes home with a movie directed by Clint Eastwood, zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz, snort, oh excuse me, but I fell asleep just thinking about it (and bless his heart CE is a giant in American filmography, he’s a great actor, but Lord Almighty, can you say boooooorrrrrrrrriiiiiinnnnnnggggg director), and this pearl from the Coen brothers, my only thought was, why, oh why, didn’t I just go to blockbuster myself??!!
His only answer to the look of despair in my eyes was “the critics say it’s fantastic”, oh, right, sorry, cause that’s always a guarantee. So, he gets up and goes to bed, and I doggedly watch on, hoping against hope that it’s going to get better, isn’t it, the critics are good, it’s GOT to get better, right?
It didn’t.

0 comments:

Post a Comment