Friday, March 5, 2010

Food, food, food and a surprise at the end

I haven’t written in a really long while, so of course a LOT happened… Last Friday, finally and against all expectations, Nana arrived in Cuneo (only 8 days late). We are all really happy to have her here. Then Saturday her, wait for it…. fiancé... D arrived. Yes, Nana will be tying the knot at a date to be established to a Mr D, or should I say professor D. Of course, to keep you interested I will reveal tidbits of information on our new family member little by little in the following posts. Saturday night we went to dinner at La Chiocciola, the first Slow Food restaurant, we literally stuffed our faces and had a generally lovely time. Sunday everyone woke up late, even The Boy slept till almost ten (miracle of miracles). Nana and Mr.D visited Cuneo while I was with The Husband at the hospital and then in the evening we had a fantastic dinner at “Il Baluardo” a Michelin star restaurant in Mondovi. Monday night we took The Boy out for pizza, The Girl stayed home cause “she’s too little” (one of the most spoken sentences at our house along with “NO!”, which is the preferred answer to all questions – guess by whom!!) On Tuesday we were all set to start getting the house ready for The Husband’s homecoming on Wednesday or Thursday and then I got a wonderful phone call: “they’re kicking me out of the hospital, come get me!”. And thus started the whirlwind of activity involved in getting the house ready for The Husband’s arrival. We washed, disinfected, vacuumed and generally deep cleaned the house in record time, while The Boy hopped around in a state of high excitement occasionally yelling PAPAY (daddy) at the top of his lungs. At 11 I left to go pick him up hoping to drop off the car at the carwash next to the hospital but apparently one must make an appointment to wash the car several days in advance (kind of like going to the theatre or reserving a really chichi restaurant), so The Husband came home to a sparkling clean house in a very dirty car…
The Boy was so happy at having Daddy home that on Wednesday he ran a temperature  so he’s been home from daycare since. And Mr. D left on Wednesday morning, so it worked out quite well, cause at least The Husband got to meet him too.  Anyway, we are all VERY proud of The Husband who only had 10 white blood cells last Friday and by Tuesday he had produced 3,000! Then he over compensated and Wednesday he had 20,000 – normal is between 6,000 and 8,000 for men – but we’re happy because the bone marrow test confirmed that he’s producing HEALTHY white blood cells for now and the numbers should go back to normal in the next few days. This is great news for several reasons, first and foremost the leukemia went into remission after this round of chemo, so though he still has to have the transplant asap we’re a little more relaxed cause at least this time he responded the way he’s supposed to, also he gets to stay home for almost three weeks and he doesn’t have to worry as much about the risk of contagion from regular illnesses (basically we don’t have to freak out if The Boy gets a cold), we still need to be careful and monitor his health and the kids’ and he has to wear a mask if he goes outside and generally has to avoid very crowded places (like movie theatres) but we can see friends and go to restaurants. Of course, he still has very little energy and it’s still hard for him to adjust to the outside world, which is pretty normal considering he’s been confined to a relatively small room for the past 6 weeks.  So basically we’re taking it easy, getting used to the new routine, The Husband is getting to know The Girl a little better (he even changed a diaper last night, first one in over two and a half months!) and The Boy is getting readjusted to having his daddy home. 
Today’s reason for why we’re really lucky: The Husband came home a day early!


Post a Comment